[mythtv-users] My MythTV system is a time machine

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Sat Mar 5 12:00:29 UTC 2011

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011, Ryan Patterson wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 7:48 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
>> md on Linux has proven to be extremely reliable, recovering data in a
>> RAID5 array, even after 2 drives got disconnected.
>
> At first blush restoring anything from RAID-5 with two volumes removed
> is computationally impossible.  Care to elaborate?

I interpreted this to mean that two drives got removed, but at least one of
those was eventually reconnected and found to be in good health, even if the
RAID timestamp was older than the other (n-2) drives in the array.

> I agree mdadm in the linux kernel is by far the best RAID system I've
> ever used.  I've used several hardware setups (from DPT and adaptec).
> They were all very expensive and disappointing.

The two things that hardware RAID does well are a) battery backup in the
case of unexpected power failure and b) low-skill drive replacement/array
rebuilds - take busted drive out, put new drive in and everything JFWs with
the LSI MegaRAID 300-8x controller I've done this with.

> -Ryan

Best Regards,
Alex