[mythtv-users] My MythTV system is a time machine

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Sat Mar 5 16:20:15 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 7:48 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> I bought a rocketraid controller ; wanted to use it as a plain SATA
> interface so I put all disks as JBOD.
>
> Turned out, the disks were unusable without the rocketraid.

That's to be expected with hardware raid controllers.  Generally you
need to have an identical or similar controller to recover the array
if the controller fails.

Hardware raid doesn't make any sense on the low end, but if you're
building 8+ drive raids it can be a good option.  I've never used
Linux's software raid with more than four drives.

Eric