[mythtv-users] Got my Ceton infiniTV 4...any else have one yet?

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Tue Jun 28 15:49:41 UTC 2011

I've had a handful of other things keeping me busy, but I've been
playing with the Ceton card a little bit at a time when I got the
chance. I got the network bridging working so that the Ceton's
interface is accessible from my entire home network. That was a bit
tricky in that there seems to be a bug in the Ceton's networking code
and how it handles subnet masks. As a result, I spent a lot of time
going down a dead end path that would never have worked, but I've
figured it out now.

As far as getting it working in myth, I've been trying to hack
together my own recorder just to get it working well enough to tide me
over until Daniel's code is ready. After about a week with no
success(mostly due to my lack of understanding all the fine details
about how myth's recorder architecture works, much of which is still a
mystery to me), last night I finally got it to record in myth. At the
moment, it's VERY crude. It doesn't even handle changing the channel
(you do that manually via the web interface, and myth just THINKS that
it changed the channel). There's about a 15 second delay when changing
channels in LiveTV mode (not the card's fault...it's purely my code).
It doesn't do any signal monitoring (I won't even bother with that
since this is only temporary code). There's no channel scanning (so
you manually configure the channels...and again, I probably won't
bother with this since it's only temporary...maybe just write a perl
script to hack the channels into the DB). Since it was just before bed
when I got it working, I haven't yet had a chance to see if there are
any issues with commflagging, building the seek table, scheduling,
etc.

So it's got a ways to go, but I'm making some positive progress. I
have no idea whether or not I'll be able to figure out enough of
myth's recording architecture to be of any use contributing code to
Daniel (if he's even interested). If I can, and if he wants it, then
I'll consider doing so. Either way, at least it will hopefully be
working for me soon. And if anyone here is brave enough to buy one of
these cards ($100 rebate expires in a few days...no word on whether it
will be extended), compile myth from source, and willing to try
compiling in some very hacky code, I'd be willing to share with you
the code I've got once it's all mostly working (and hopefully I don't
run into any brick walls that stop me from getting it working).

--
Ron Frazier