[mythtv-users] Got my Ceton infiniTV 4...any else have one yet?

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 16:06:15 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 11:49 AM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:

> I've had a handful of other things keeping me busy, but I've been
> playing with the Ceton card a little bit at a time when I got the
> chance. I got the network bridging working so that the Ceton's
> interface is accessible from my entire home network. That was a bit
> tricky in that there seems to be a bug in the Ceton's networking code
> and how it handles subnet masks. As a result, I spent a lot of time
> going down a dead end path that would never have worked, but I've
> figured it out now.
>
> As far as getting it working in myth, I've been trying to hack
> together my own recorder just to get it working well enough to tide me
> over until Daniel's code is ready. After about a week with no
> success(mostly due to my lack of understanding all the fine details
> about how myth's recorder architecture works, much of which is still a
> mystery to me), last night I finally got it to record in myth. At the
> moment, it's VERY crude. It doesn't even handle changing the channel
> (you do that manually via the web interface, and myth just THINKS that
> it changed the channel). There's about a 15 second delay when changing
> channels in LiveTV mode (not the card's fault...it's purely my code).
> It doesn't do any signal monitoring (I won't even bother with that
> since this is only temporary code). There's no channel scanning (so
> you manually configure the channels...and again, I probably won't
> bother with this since it's only temporary...maybe just write a perl
> script to hack the channels into the DB). Since it was just before bed
> when I got it working, I haven't yet had a chance to see if there are
> any issues with commflagging, building the seek table, scheduling,
> etc.
>
> So it's got a ways to go, but I'm making some positive progress. I
> have no idea whether or not I'll be able to figure out enough of
> myth's recording architecture to be of any use contributing code to
> Daniel (if he's even interested). If I can, and if he wants it, then
> I'll consider doing so. Either way, at least it will hopefully be
> working for me soon. And if anyone here is brave enough to buy one of
> these cards ($100 rebate expires in a few days...no word on whether it
> will be extended), compile myth from source, and willing to try
> compiling in some very hacky code, I'd be willing to share with you
> the code I've got once it's all mostly working (and hopefully I don't
> run into any brick walls that stop me from getting it working).
>
> --
> Ron Frazier

Ron,

I am glad to see progress, and I am very interested in trying this.  Which
version or branch of MythTV did you end up using?  I was hoping .24-fixes,
but I assume since you said "compile myth from source" that you are using
.25 master, dkristjansson/mythtv-rec, or mythtv-rec2.  Did you use the
import recorder as you tried early on or something else?

Keep up the good work!

-Tom Bongiorno