[mythtv-users] OT: Buying a new TV - Sharp Quattron or 3D?

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 14:29:21 UTC 2011

I agree about the 3D "craze".  It's too much a gimmick, and I bet it'll be
dead in 10 years (well, hoping it'll be dead).

My requirements for a TV are based upon refresh rate (don't get JYA started
on refresh rate :-) haha) and the TV's ability to be used in a home
automation setup.  From what I've read, Sharp's play nicely, as do LG's.
Specifically, I've read a thread on AVSForum about 'iRule'.  It is an iOS
app (soon to be Android as well) that's a "build your own" remote control.
It uses gateways (devices hooked to your network that have IR blasters or
serial ports) that talk to your devices.  From what I understand, Sharps
have RS232 ports on them, and the LGs allow you to talk over IP (from the
connected ethernet jack on the back).  I believe that Samsung are still not
releasing their protocol information for IP.  So that information might be a
factor for you to consider as well.