[mythtv-users] OT: Buying a new TV - Sharp Quattron or 3D?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 00:13:05 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 2:29 AM, James Oltman <cnlibmyth at gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree about the 3D "craze".  It's too much a gimmick, and I bet it'll be
> dead in 10 years (well, hoping it'll be dead).
>
> My requirements for a TV are based upon refresh rate (don't get JYA started
> on refresh rate :-) haha) and the TV's ability to be used in a home
> automation setup.  From what I've read, Sharp's play nicely, as do LG's.
> Specifically, I've read a thread on AVSForum about 'iRule'.  It is an iOS
> app (soon to be Android as well) that's a "build your own" remote control.
> It uses gateways (devices hooked to your network that have IR blasters or
> serial ports) that talk to your devices.  From what I understand, Sharps
> have RS232 ports on them, and the LGs allow you to talk over IP (from the
> connected ethernet jack on the back).  I believe that Samsung are still not
> releasing their protocol information for IP.  So that information might be a
> factor for you to consider as well.

OK it was a holiday weekend in NZ and the sales were on. Happy
Birthday Your Majesty  :-)

I have bought (pending payment of earthquake insurance) an LG
55LW6500, a 55 inch LED panel. Despite agreeing that 3D is pretty
gimmicky, I did get one with 3D, as all the latest models seem to have
it anyway. The good thing is that the glasses are cheapish as they
are, as pointed out by others, polarised cinema style glasses. 4 came
with the set and we have some other sets left over from movie
sessions. Another family came in with their cinema glasses while I was
in the shop, and they certainly did work fine.

I will also be getting, by redemption, 2x3D bluray titles and a 3D
camera, and some other gimmick. Of course I don't have  bluray player,
let alone a 3D one, but never mind.

4 HDMI inputs, two component inputs, one vga input, an audio optical
out, two USB ports with a promise from the shop guy that they play
pretty well everything. Nice remote with single button 'input'
changer. There is an android app published by LG for network based
control, but I haven't made it work yet. (Only installed this morning
and had to dash to work). I believe it works over ethernet.

It has an ethernet port and wireless (it is close to the router so i
have it wired at present). It has all sorts of groovy apps like a web
browser, youtube integration, picasa, and others I haven't really
explored yet.

Myth frontend works well into it, but the SD material looks decidedly
SD. My HD material looks damned fine.

DLNA shows up the myth recordings, but they play squished (like 16:9
squashed into a 4:3 box with black lines on each side). However I
prefer the frontend anyway, skipping and rewinding was a bit dodgy on
the dlna playback.

The full manual (on a cd) lists all the licenses that apply to various
software and the site to download the inbuilt software from
(http://opensource.lge.com/). The list is at the foot of this email.

The manual also documents the remote codes and setting up an external
RS232 controller (alas mine doesn't have the RS232 port, but nice to
see it documented).

So the kids haven't let me play with it much yet, but I think I made a
good buy and will report back any more findings.

License
   Component

Apache license
  bonjour