[mythtv-users] Playback and recording problems

Jeff Cranmer jeff at lotussevencars.com
Mon Jul 25 03:42:06 UTC 2011

Hi All,

I'm trying to resurrect my system after doing a fairly significant
upgrade (principally moving from Kernel 2.6.34 to kernel 2.6.38.

I had problems with LIRC when moving to version 0.9.0, but they now seem
to be solved.  The video playback and recording functions, however,
appear to be broken.

I cannot play live TV for more than a few minutes before the picture
hangs, and I get a USB fault (Hauppauge HDPVR).  The picture either
stops or goes blank, followed a few seconds later by the error message
that video fram buffering failed too many times.

The light on the HDPVR box remains on until I reset it using the front
end power switch after the failure.

It appears to be a USB related failure, as I get these errors in dmesg.
Lots of these errors:
usb1-3: kworker/4:2 timed out on ep0out len=0/1
A couple of these errors:
usb1-3: mythbackend timed out on ep0out len=0/1

I have confirmed that usb1-3 is the hauppauge hdpvr box.

/var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log has corresponding entries when the fault
occurs:
DevRdB(/dev/video0) Error: Poll giving up
MPEGRec(/dev/video0) Error: Device error detected
DevRdB(/dev/video0) Stop(): Not running.

Has anyone experienced similar symptoms, and is there a simple fix?

Thanks

Jeff