[mythtv-users] Hauppauge USB CableCard Tuner for $129!

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Wed Jul 20 04:56:38 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 11:24 PM, Tom Bongiorno <two.bits.11 at gmail.com> wrote:
> PRIME will work with .24-fixes, but the Ceton will require your patch Ron.
>  What do you think?

It's your call. So far, I'm very happy with the code I've written.
It's been working great with only a few small issues (nothing that has
prevented any recordings, and I hope to work on addressing these
issues next week). I'm planning on posting my code tomorrow (or make
that today...Wednesday). I've got most of the text written up, but
it's almost 1AM, so I've got to get to bed soon.

One thing I'm already noticing is that my recordings seem to be
turning out better than what I captured using my HD Homerun (though
I'll need a little bit longer term usage to confirm this initial
impression is correct). With the HD Homerun, I'd periodically get
pixelation/blocking in the picture. I had assumed it was caused by a
bad signal coming into my house. At some point, I has suspected it was
possibly networking issues causing lost packets or overrunning the
NIC's buffer or something, but when I looked into that several times,
I was not able to identify any problems. However, so far I haven't
been seeing those problems in my recordings, so I'm thinking it maybe
was a networking issue, and having the card directly in the computer
is proving a little more reliable. Or it could be that the Ceton has a
much better tuner than my 3-4 year old HD Homerun.

> From NewEgg, the Ceton would cost $236 shipped

Shipping is free. Do you have to pay tax on newegg purchases?

--
Ron Frazier