[mythtv-users] Hauppauge USB CableCard Tuner for $129!

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 06:51:38 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 12:56 AM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 11:24 PM, Tom Bongiorno <two.bits.11 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > PRIME will work with .24-fixes, but the Ceton will require your patch
> Ron.
> >  What do you think?
>
> It's your call. So far, I'm very happy with the code I've written.
> It's been working great with only a few small issues (nothing that has
> prevented any recordings, and I hope to work on addressing these
> issues next week). I'm planning on posting my code tomorrow (or make
> that today...Wednesday). I've got most of the text written up, but
> it's almost 1AM, so I've got to get to bed soon.
>
> One thing I'm already noticing is that my recordings seem to be
> turning out better than what I captured using my HD Homerun (though
> I'll need a little bit longer term usage to confirm this initial
> impression is correct). With the HD Homerun, I'd periodically get
> pixelation/blocking in the picture. I had assumed it was caused by a
> bad signal coming into my house. At some point, I has suspected it was
> possibly networking issues causing lost packets or overrunning the
> NIC's buffer or something, but when I looked into that several times,
> I was not able to identify any problems. However, so far I haven't
> been seeing those problems in my recordings, so I'm thinking it maybe
> was a networking issue, and having the card directly in the computer
> is proving a little more reliable. Or it could be that the Ceton has a
> much better tuner than my 3-4 year old HD Homerun.
>
> > From NewEgg, the Ceton would cost $236 shipped
>
> Shipping is free. Do you have to pay tax on newegg purchases?
>

> --
> Ron Frazier

Unfortunately yes, we have to pay 7% sales tax here in NJ from NewEgg.  That
and the $6 shipping made the $250 PRIME cost $275 shipped.

I am running Mythbuntu 11.04 with .24-fixes, and have never compiled MythTV.
 I am not sure what the steps would be.  git, make, make install?  Probably
not that easy.  I am also a little fuzzy on the configuration of the card
outside of MythTV.  Like assigning an IP address and accessing the card's
web server from another box.

BTW, you are correct, it is late.  Must sleep...

-Tom