[mythtv-users] Frontend frustration

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Thu Jul 7 13:26:42 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 11:12 PM, OneBob <onebob at gmail.com> wrote:

> My PC which I've just upgraded loads mythfrontend .23 and in doing so
> returns "Protocol version mismatch (frontend=23056,backend=56)".
>
> The point is I can't see why the frontend can't have some flag that lets it
> run against an older version, after all Sudu's mythtvplayer (
> http://www.sudu.dk/mythtvplayer/index.php?page=home) works even under wine
> (although no video) and pulls back the recordings etc???
>
> Am I missing something?

Yeah - nothing stopping you running a new version of the backend without
upgrading the whole system!
The backend hasn't got any more resource intensive since 0.22, so you really
should be fine...

Incidentally, while you're at it, keep going to 0.24 - 0.22 and 0.23 were
pretty unstable in my experience, but it's been nice and quiet this release
cycle...

(conversely, there's nothing stopping you from tracking down the source to
0.22-fixes and building it for your current system, but I doubt that would
be very much fun)

- Chris