[mythtv-users] Frontend frustration

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 18:35:06 UTC 2011

On 7 July 2011 14:26, Christopher Kerr <mythtv at theseekerr.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 11:12 PM, OneBob <onebob at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> My PC which I've just upgraded loads mythfrontend .23 and in doing so
>> returns "Protocol version mismatch (frontend=23056,backend=56)".
>>
>> The point is I can't see why the frontend can't have some flag that lets
>> it run against an older version, after all Sudu's mythtvplayer
>> (http://www.sudu.dk/mythtvplayer/index.php?page=home) works even under wine
>> (although no video) and pulls back the recordings etc???
>>
>> Am I missing something?
>
> Yeah - nothing stopping you running a new version of the backend without
> upgrading the whole system!

Can you do that? Surely schema differences will bite you? Do newer
backends support older protocols? I thought you should always run
matched backends and frontends?

[Snip good.22 -> .23 -> .24 advice]

> (conversely, there's nothing stopping you from tracking down the source to
> 0.22-fixes and building it for your current system, but I doubt that would
> be very much fun)

FWIW (and not because I'm a bit bord at work or anything), I've just
downloaded 0.22 fixes and built it with no major issues. This is on a
machine that is running 0.25pre. (Which I build from source; so I do
have all the necessary dependencies.)

$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/mythtv22/lib
/usr/local/mythtv22/bin/mythfrontend --version
Please include all output in bug reports.
MythTV Version   : exported
MythTV Branch    :
Network Protocol : 50
Library API      : 0.22.20091023-1
QT Version       : 4.6.3
Options compiled in:
 linux release using_oss using_alsa using_pulse using_arts
using_backend using_directfb using_dvb using_fribidi using_frontend
using_hdhomerun using_hdpvr using_iptv using_ivtv using_joystick_menu
using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl_video using_opengl_vsync
using_qtwebkit using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv
using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_opengl using_vdpau
using_ffmpeg_threads using_live using_mheg

This was built with:

$  git clone -b fixes/0.22 git://github.com/MythTV/mythtv.git
$  cd mythtv/mythtv
$  ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mythtv22
$ make
$  sudo make install

HTH,

Ian