[mythtv-users] VDPAU, GT220 / and xvid videos

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Jan 25 22:56:48 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 04:53:20PM -0500, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 1/25/2011 16:45, Neil Cooper wrote:
> >--- On Tue, 1/25/11, Raymond Wagner<raymond at wagnerrp.com>  wrote
> >>The 9400M on the ION does not support decoding of MPEG4 ASP
> >>(xvid), so MythTV fell back to software decoding.
> >Is this specifically an ION issue or a 9400 issue?
>
> Neither, nor is it even an issue.  Cards prior to the GT2xx series
> simply don't support decoding of ASP content.  The decoder chip
> isn't designed to handle it.
>
> >Eeverything I've tried always plays back fine under MythTV, including direct rips of all my DVDs except for some reason my Pink Floyd "Pulse" DVD 2 disk set.

    You will have to go into more detail here. I think I have a copy of this.
I might be able to replicate the conditions of your problem. My copy has
probably been converted to h264 but I can always re-rip it.

> DVDs are MPEG2, not MPEG4 ASP.  If they were a direct rip, rather
> than transcoded to something else, they would still be in MPEG2, and
> should be decodeable by any VDPAU capable hardware.  Standard
> definition MPEG2 content is trivial to decode, so if you are having
> problems with it through VDPAU, alter your playback profile so any
> standard definition content gets handled by the software decoders.

    For something like an Atom, software decode of MPEG2 or even DIVX in
SD should be OK. However, I would not expect software only decode of h264
to work well. I have seen performance related warnings with my other
non-myth playback software on SD divx content. So I suspect that trying to
do h264 purely in software wouldn't work out.