[mythtv-users] VDPAU, GT220 / and xvid videos

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Jan 25 21:53:20 UTC 2011

On 1/25/2011 16:45, Neil Cooper wrote:
> --- On Tue, 1/25/11, Raymond Wagner<raymond at wagnerrp.com>  wrote
>> The 9400M on the ION does not support decoding of MPEG4 ASP
>> (xvid), so MythTV fell back to software decoding.
> Is this specifically an ION issue or a 9400 issue?

Neither, nor is it even an issue.  Cards prior to the GT2xx series
simply don't support decoding of ASP content.  The decoder chip isn't
designed to handle it.

> Eeverything I've tried always plays back fine under MythTV, including direct rips of all my DVDs except for some reason my Pink Floyd "Pulse" DVD 2 disk set.

DVDs are MPEG2, not MPEG4 ASP.  If they were a direct rip, rather than
transcoded to something else, they would still be in MPEG2, and should
be decodeable by any VDPAU capable hardware.  Standard definition MPEG2
content is trivial to decode, so if you are having problems with it
through VDPAU, alter your playback profile so any standard definition
content gets handled by the software decoders.