[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Feb 14 21:47:28 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 03:15:50PM -0600, Ben Kamen wrote:
> On 2/14/2011 3:10 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Ben Kamen<bkamen at benjammin.net>  wrote:
> >> I don't know if I missed the email - but ATI's Linux support in the past has been sketchy..
> >
> > When using open source drivers, ATI's cards work better than Nvidia's.
> >   When using closed source drivers, Nvidia's cards work better than
> > ATI's.  Support for ATI has been improving in recent years.
> I had wondered about that -- if they had caught up or not.
> I just remember back in 2005, the fastest path from parts to MythTV was nVidia.
> Well, heck, if it weren't for NTSC OTA going away, this All-In-Wonder could actually be good for something!
> (tongue in cheek)

    My problems with ATI have always been what you could describe as "the
finer points". Getting a box up and installed and running an X server has
never been a problem for me. My problems have been more like really bad
performance or visual glitches when using mythtv.

    Fine for basic desktop use, probably not fine for anything else.