[mythtv-users] PVR-150 MPEG support possibly broken with latest GIT code -- Problem Found

Rajesh Krishna Balan rajesh at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Feb 1 00:26:13 UTC 2011

On 31/1/2011 9:43 PM, Rajesh Krishna Balan wrote:
> I'm getting the following error with the latest git head
>
> "MPEG card configured on video device /dev/video0,
> but MythTV was not compiled with MPEG support.
>
> Recompile MythTV with MPEG support or remove the card
> from the configuration and restart MythTV."

okay. I tracked down the problem. For some reason, the code has stopped
enabling ivtv and v4l support during the configure stage.

In the configure script, if I trim this line
v4l_deps="backend linux_videodev_h linux_videodev2_h"

to just
v4l_deps="backend"

the ivtv and v4l enabled flags are properly.  However, now it can't
compile as the videodev header files cannot be found

vbitext/vbi.c:17:28: fatal error: linux/videodev.h: No such file or
directory

My system is using linux 2.6.37-12-generic AMD64  ubuntu natty

I tracked down the problem further and it looks like linux/videodev.h
has been removed from the latest  linux-libc-dev package in ubuntu
natty. Only linux/videodev2.h appears to remain.

  Hence, the problems. Even the mythbuntu mythtv packager has this
problem (their latest .deb files also don't have support for IVTV, V4l,
or HD-PVR devices).

just removing videodev.h does not work either. There are errors about
constants like  BASE_VIDIOCPRIVATE being undefined.

I'm now going to check the ubuntu bug reports to see if the omission of
videodev.h was intentional or just a bad omission.

Raj