[mythtv-users] Best way to auto Transcode MPEG2 SD to save storage space

Thomas Boehm mythtv-users at lists.boehmi.net
Sat Dec 31 11:52:59 UTC 2011

Chris Lewis wrote:
> Can anyone enlighten me on the best strategy to automatically transcode
> recordings (UK DVB-T) into something more efficient than MPEG2?
>
> My hardware is a P4 dual core 3GHz thing with a GT430 card that will do
> VDPAU.  Basically in looking for something to run as a user job to
> transcode to some other format (mpeg4/h264 I dont know which) to save
> space.
>
> I would also much prefer it if the recording was still available in the
> normal "Media Library | Watch Recordings" area as i have only just
> trained the girlfriend how to use the box and dont fancy trying it
> again.  WAF is high on my list of priorities!
>
> Also if it could be forced to only run between say midnight and 8am
> Mon-Fri that would be very helpful.

I was about to write the same like Raymond. With this kind of processor
it will take very long to transcode. I have an Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
4400+, which is comparable with your processor if not faster I think,
and it takes me about twice the time of the show to transcode it with
HandBrakeCLI. I only do it for selected shows I want to keep after
cutting the commercials out.

If you still want to do it, have a look at mythnuv2mkv. I used it quite
a while until the mkv support in mencoder broke (at least in the version
from the repository I used and I wasn't able to compile it by myself).
Maybe it works for you and/or the problem is fixed now.

HTH
Thomas