[mythtv-users] Best way to auto Transcode MPEG2 SD to save storage space

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sat Dec 31 01:10:31 UTC 2011

On 12/30/2011 19:55, Chris Lewis wrote:
> Can anyone enlighten me on the best strategy to automatically
> transcode recordings (UK DVB-T) into something more efficient than MPEG2?
>
> My hardware is a P4 dual core 3GHz thing with a GT430 card that will
> do VDPAU.

With your old processor, it's simply not worth it.  With decent quality
settings in x264, and pre-flood hard drive prices, it will cost you more
in electricity to transcode that content, than to buy more hard drive
space to offset what you would have saved through compression.  Wait
another couple months for prices to settle down (they're already on the
way back down), and buy more hard drive space.