[mythtv-users] mythmusic doesn't display embedded album art in flac files

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 17:47:51 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 9:39 AM, Thomas Boehm
<mythtv-users at lists.boehmi.net>wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I'm using mythtv 0.24+fixes and noticed that mythmusic doesn't display
> embedded album art from flac files. It works fine with mp3's though.
>
> To tag the flac's I used Easytag and read the comments in the wiki about
> letting Easytag change the file date in order for mythmusic to pick up
> the changes at the next scan. I also enabled writing ID3 tags to the
> flac files in EasyTag. If I put a cover.jpg in the folder it displays in
> mythmusic.
>
> Is there a way around it? I would like to use the embedded album art. If
> it isn't possible (yet?), does anybody know a tool which can extract the
> album art for a whole folder tree?
>
> Thanks
> Thomas

My question is (and this is by no means a criticism), why do you want to use
the embedded album art?  I have found that in order to get a decent picture
on my 1080p screen, I need to have VERY large album art.  In the +500KB
range.  Then I'd have to attach that image to EVERY song.  That's just
multiplying the storage of that one image at least 10 times (assuming a
whole album).  I just put the cover.jpg in the folder, and MM picks it up
fine.  I understand wanting to have it embedded for use on an iPhone/iPod,
but Rhythmbox converts the cover.jpg just fine for each song.  I'm just
curious as to your use case that's all.  Thanks!

Jim