[mythtv-users] Best all around analog and clear QAM tuner

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 17:49:56 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 8:32 AM, Aaron Klein <klein.aaron at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am tired of trying to get my PVR-1600 to work as it seems it has always
> required some tender loving care to work as it never seems to be fully
> supported out of the box.  I would like the ablity to tune NTSC cable
> signals as we still get analog cable in our area but also the flexability of
> tuning clear QAM signals also on the cable system.  In your views what card
> seems to have the best out of the box support for MythTV release 10.10 or
> newer.  Would also need a remote or if there is a stand alone IR remote that
> works great out of the box what that might be.
> I have the following setup currently.
>
> Myth .21 (not sure what release of Mythbuntu) with a PVR-350 and a
> WinTV2000 analog tuner card operating as primary backend and front end
>
> Mythbuntu 10.10 with PVR-1600.  Would be secondary backend and front end
> Currently trying to get PVR-1600 working.  Had it working on base 10.10
> install with no updates.  Last night installed all the updates but did not
> update release to 11.04 and the card stopped being reconized and the drivers
> build fails when I try to rebuild on the new kernel.
>
> I want to upgrade my primary backend to current or close to current release
> and then replace the PVR-1600 with a reliable and easy to configure tuner
> for my secondary backend.  I am hoping the PVR-350 still works relyiably
> with the new kenerels as it has never had an issue for many years of
> operation.

The HDHomeRun (not the prime) is popular for ClearQAM tuning.

I have a pcHDTV3000 card and two Avermedia A180 cards (though a few
months ago I gave the 3000 to my dad for his new system). All three
ran on the same machine together for over a year with no problems from
any of them. All three are PCI cards.

I then paired those three with a PVR-500, I used one input to tune
analog stations and the second input for a cable box. This combination
worked quite well for me.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!