[mythtv-users] Best all around analog and clear QAM tuner

Aaron Klein klein.aaron at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 12:32:35 UTC 2011

I am tired of trying to get my PVR-1600 to work as it seems it has always
required some tender loving care to work as it never seems to be fully
supported out of the box.  I would like the ablity to tune NTSC cable
signals as we still get analog cable in our area but also the flexability of
tuning clear QAM signals also on the cable system.  In your views what card
seems to have the best out of the box support for MythTV release 10.10 or
newer.  Would also need a remote or if there is a stand alone IR remote that
works great out of the box what that might be.

I have the following setup currently.

Myth .21 (not sure what release of Mythbuntu) with a PVR-350 and a
WinTV2000 analog tuner card operating as primary backend and front end

Mythbuntu 10.10 with PVR-1600.  Would be secondary backend and front end
Currently trying to get PVR-1600 working.  Had it working on base 10.10
install with no updates.  Last night installed all the updates but did not
update release to 11.04 and the card stopped being reconized and the drivers
build fails when I try to rebuild on the new kernel.

I want to upgrade my primary backend to current or close to current release
and then replace the PVR-1600 with a reliable and easy to configure tuner
for my secondary backend.  I am hoping the PVR-350 still works relyiably
with the new kenerels as it has never had an issue for many years of
operation.