[mythtv-users] Mytharchive - Audio/video Drift when archiving a recording to DVD, and edits not being honoured

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Fri Apr 15 11:24:06 UTC 2011

On 15/04/11 11:54, Angus Kerr wrote:

> Hi
>
> I seem to have picked up a problem with this issue. It seems to be an old
> issue (web search shows 2007), but as I am only now encountering it, it
> seems to no have been resolved yet.
>
> I made a recording from the RF tuner input of my TV Card (Pinnacle - can't
> remember the model, but I don't think it's important).
>
> The recording is in nuv format, and is 300 minutes long.
>
> I then used the archive facility to generate an iso file to create a DVD.
> Once some hurdles (regarding an .ICEAuthority file which required
> deleting)
> had been overcome, I noticed:
>
> 1. Audio and Video slowly drifted out of sync over time: To start with,
> the audio and video are perfectly in sync (people being interviewed have
> perfect lip sync), but after two hours the audio has drifted and now leads
> the video by about 2 seconds. As time progresses, the sync issue gets
> progressively worse. I then checked the original recording by playing it
> deep into 3 hours, and the sync is perfect for the entire duration of the
> recording (all 6 hours of it).
>
> 2. The top 'n tailing which I had edited in were ignored, and the raw file
> seemed to have been usedI'm running Mythbuntu 10.04, which runs Mythtv ??
>
> It seems that the script ran ffmpeg to transcode the file, and it would
> appear that this program is buggy, or does not have the correct default
> paramters supplied.
>
> Any idea how to solve my problem. It really should be a trivial issue that
> should have been resolved a long time ago? And why am I (apparently) the
> only person to make an issue of out it now?
>
> Thanks
>
> Angus

If you want to apply edits within MythArchive you have to activate this
after you have selected the recordings: use the 'm' or menu key to bring
up a list of options.  In Myth 0.24 the cuts are still inverted.

Personally I prefer to do things one step at a time.  That way you can
hope to make some progress instead of always starting from the beginning
after the likely misfires.

I don't know how many people are starting from .nuv these days. I
haven't seen sync problems during the last few years when starting from
mpeg2 recordings or pre-converted .nuv.

And a 300 minute single-layer dvd won't give good picture quality; but I
suppose you can judge that from what you have.

HTH

John P