[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: Modify mythweb flash streaming for an in progress recording (Formula 1)

Raymond Norton admin at lctn.org
Thu Apr 7 15:14:37 UTC 2011

  You need to tell tail to suck in the whole file, not just the last n
> lines and this is done using the -c switch.  And then you tell ffmpeg
> to use an input of pipe:0
>
> So your command will look like:
>
> tail -fc 10G /path/to/file |  /usr/bin/ffmpeg -y -ss '0' -i pipe:0 -s
> '320x240' -g 30 -r 24 -f flv -deinterlace -ac 2 -ar 11025 -ab '32k' -b
> '180k' /dev/stdout 2>/dev/null

Still looking for perfection. Here is what works for me:

Launch ffserver in terminal.

run this in second terminal:

tail -f /var/lib/mythtv/livetv/1004_20110407091305.mpg | ffmpeg -i -
-vol 1536  http://127.0.0.1:8090/feed1.ffm

Not sure why, but video only ran for 10 seconds when using -c 10G in tail.

This is a great improvement of having to use a second box to pull video
from /dev/video0 (ffmpeg -i /dev/video0 http://127.0.0.1:8090/feed1.ffm)

Unfortunately tailing an mpg file is a manual process and does not work
well on the fly, because I need to first launch a front end to watch tv,
so the mpg file is generated. The other negative is, everything stops
when a new livetv mpg file is generated.

Is there a variable that can be used in the tail command to always play
the newest file name? also, is there a way to trigger a livetv mpg file
without launching a frontend?

This would all work on the fly if those two restrictions can be overcome.

FYI.. I am using an IPod with OpenStreamer to view the live feed.

believed to be clean.