[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: Modify mythweb flash streaming for an in progress recording (Formula 1)

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 22:56:30 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 6:45 AM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:

>> I have been using ffserver on a different box to get a live stream on my
>> IPod (works great) However, i would like to keep everything on one box.
>> How would you satisfy the input file for ffmpeg using:
>>
>> tail -f /path/to/some/in/progress/recording.mpg | ffmpeg -the -right -options

You need to tell tail to suck in the whole file, not just the last n
lines and this is done using the -c switch.  And then you tell ffmpeg
to use an input of pipe:0

So your command will look like:

tail -fc 10G /path/to/file |  /usr/bin/ffmpeg -y -ss '0' -i pipe:0 -s
'320x240' -g 30 -r 24 -f flv -deinterlace -ac 2 -ar 11025 -ab '32k' -b
'180k' /dev/stdout 2>/dev/null

To update, I now have a the ability to watch an in progress recording
using flowplayer and can quickly jump to any point in the player that
has been cached.  I don't seem to be able to do the 'pseudo-streaming'
where I can jump to an arbitrary point in the recording and have the
server start streaming from there, even though that patch (Ticket
8206) is still applied.  I think it is something to do with the fact
that the flowplayer slider indicates that the whole show is cached as
soon as it starts playing, even though it isn't!

Cheers,
Whytey - who is off to investigate ffserver...