[mythtv-users] Hardware Purchase

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Tue Apr 5 16:34:38 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Johan.van der Kolk
<johan.van.der.kolk1 at telenet.be> wrote:
> And one type of tuner will respond better than others. One has to
> consider is that the box manufacturer will buy tuner modules as they are
> available on the market. My PVR500 for example is known to have tuners
> from Philips and Samsung, which have (also according to internet forums)
> a difference in performance.

You'll be happy to know that this form of product inconsistency
becoming less and less of an issue as the product vendors are moving
to silicon tuners.  The elimination of can tuners results in fewer
design variants being out in the field.  For example, the PCIe tuners
from Hauppauge have all been using the same 18271 for the last two
years (and the newest HVR-1600 now does as well).

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com