[mythtv-users] Hardware Purchase

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Tue Apr 5 16:45:52 UTC 2011

On 11-04-05 12:25 PM, Johan.van der Kolk wrote:
..
> A strong signal in your neighbourhood may reduce the the gain of your
> input stages (AGC) and by doing that will make it much less sensitive
> for smaller signals.
> So this tuner will perform well in the absence of that larger carrier
> (f.e. at your house) but perform miserable at my house, where I may have
> a dominant carrier in that frequency band.

Absolutely, and there are other factors in there which I have also
considered and eliminated.  I've been doing this stuff for some time.  :)

Nobody seems to complain about the opposite kind of misleading reviews.
Funny, that.

I'm also a big convert to silicon tuners -- eg. the excellent XC5000 chip
in the HVR-950Q, PCTV-800i, LG televisions, and other devices.

Definitely a step up for consistency from hand-tuned can tuners.

Cheers