[mythtv-users] Hardware Purchase

Johan.van der Kolk johan.van.der.kolk1 at telenet.be
Tue Apr 5 16:25:25 UTC 2011

On 04/05/2011 06:01 PM, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Mark Lord<mythtv at rtr.ca>  wrote:
>> On 11-04-05 10:35 AM, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
>> I don't know "most people", just a few with HDHRs and other tuners,
>> plus my own rather extensive setup and experience with the first two
>> generations of HDHRs and many other tuners.
>>
>> ..
>>> That's a dangerous area of speculation you are entering.
>> Dangerous?? Speculation??
> It's speculation because you're drawing conclusions based on your
> limited experience with a small set of tuners under whatever your
> particular signal conditions happen to be, under who knows what kernel
> versions for each of those tuners.
>
> It's dangerous because regular users who don't know any better read
> threads like this and form conclusions based on perhaps very limited
> information.
>
> My point is simply is that is is *very* difficult to say tuner X is
> better than tuner Y without having a much more comprehensive analysis
> process (taking into account environmental factors and the versions of
> code actually being run), and people should take individual users'
> experience with a grain of salt unless they know what all the
> variables are.
>
> Devin

Interesting discussion, however I tend to agree with Devin here. There
are too many parameters affecting the quality to just make a blind X is
better than Y statement.

A strong signal in your neighbourhood may reduce the the gain of your
input stages (AGC) and by doing that will make it much less sensitive
for smaller signals.
So this tuner will perform well in the absence of that larger carrier
(f.e. at your house) but perform miserable at my house, where I may have
a dominant carrier in that frequency band.

And one type of tuner will respond better than others. One has to
consider is that the box manufacturer will buy tuner modules as they are
available on the market. My PVR500 for example is known to have tuners
from Philips and Samsung, which have (also according to internet forums)
a difference in performance.

Johan