[mythtv-users] Having trouble setting up a new system

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 17:04:28 UTC 2010

Hi all,
   I'm try to get my system running again before the broadcast
networks get too many new shows out there. Unfortunately I'm having a
terrible time so far. Hope I can get some help.

   OK - the system at this point is:

1) An old PowerPC Mac Min running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. I ran this machine
for a long time as my backend using Gentoo but updates took too big a
toll on me and I gave up. Eventually it got so out of date I decided
to try something else and found Ubuntu supported PowerPC and had 0.23
in the repositories. The machine is up and running, boots cleanly,
starts the backend and I've got an external USB hard drive for
storage.

2) My only frontend for now will be my Gentoo desktop in my office. I
masked everything higher than 0.23_pxxxxx. I can run both the frontend
and mythtv-setup from my Gentoo machine and I appear to be connecting
to the backend. (I had to mask 0.23.1 because apparently the
communication protocols changed between versions and a 0.23.1 frontend
won't talk to a 0.23 backend?)

3) I'd like to use my HDHR as the capture card.

4) I'd like to use SchedulesDirect as the video source.

QUESTIONS:

1) Where can I run mythtv-setup from?

   OK - so the first problem is that (as installed by Ubuntu on my
PowerPC) mythtv-setup won't connect to the database if run from the
backend. However it does connect to the database if run from the
frontend. Can I run mythtv-setup from the frontend to set things up or
does it have to be run from the backend machine?

   When run from the backend and either the DHCP IP address
(192.168.1.245) or 127.0.0.1 is in the Hostname box I get a message
'cannot login'.

   When run from the frontend it sort of seems to work - it will set
up cards and the Schedules sources and allow me to make connections,
but it complains that /video/ doesn't exist when it clearly does, and
when finished and mythfilldatabase is run it acts like it's
downloading schedules but I see nothing in mythfrontend.

mark at MacMini:~$ df
/dev/hda3             75449472   3184116  68432732   5% /
none                    250924       260    250664   1% /dev
none                    255472       164    255308   1% /dev/shm
none                    255472       100    255372   1% /var/run
none                    255472         0    255472   0% /var/lock
none                    255472         0    255472   0% /lib/init/rw
/dev/sda1            480094768     71592 455635708   1% /video
mark at MacMini:~$

   I'm not clear whether running mythtv-setup from the frontend is
trying to reference local directories or directories on the server. If
I need to run this from the backend then I clearly need to solve why
the backend cannot connect to itself I guess.

2) Are there any good wiki's about using the HDHR with MYthTV? In the
old days there was a program Dennis Lou wrote called (I think)
scte65scan, or something like that. I don't see any instructions
around about whether running this program is still required to
eventually get the HDHR working, or whether that has now become part
of MYthTV.

   Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,
Mark