[mythtv-users] Judder-free playback leads to bad audio sync?

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Mon Sep 6 19:42:19 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-09-05 at 18:58 -0600, John P Poet wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Nicolas Will <nico at youplala.net>
> wrote:
>
> >  On Sun, 2010-09-05 at 19:01 +0100, Paul Gray wrote:
> >
> > On 05/09/2010 17:53, Nicolas Will wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Since I followed the judder-free playback instructions here
> > >
> > > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:JudderFree
> > >
> > > I have noticed that A/V sync is going bad as I watch content.
> > >
> > > My googling brought some fellows with the same issue, but no clear
> > solution.
> > >
> > > Am I missing something?
> >
> > Every MythTv FE I've built has slowly run out of sync.
> > When it gets noticeable, I jump back 5s and that syncs
> > it up again.
> >

> > Well, that may be the case, but my FE was OK, now it is really
> noticeable.
> >
> > Nico
> >

> I have noticed the same.  If I keep playback at 60p (even for 24p
> material)
> the sync stays perfect.  If I use 24p playback then the A/V sync gets
> worse
> and worse.  Therefore, I have gone back to using 60p even for 24p
> material.

Call me greedy, but I'd like judder and lag free :o)

I could go back to 60 Hz, the judder is less problematic than the audio
lag for my own brain.

But I am sure that perfection could come out of this, and Jean-Yves made
the how-to for judder-free (if not the code) and is also working on
audio. There is a strong potential for synergy. (yes, I work for a large
company and I did a tour in marketing as well as product management,
shoot me!)

Nico