[mythtv-users] Having trouble setting up a new system

Johnny Walker johnnyjboss at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 15:02:37 UTC 2010

On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 12:04 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>   I'm try to get my system running again before the broadcast
> networks get too many new shows out there. Unfortunately I'm having a
> terrible time so far. Hope I can get some help.
>
>   OK - the system at this point is:
>
> 1) An old PowerPC Mac Min running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. I ran this machine
> for a long time as my backend using Gentoo but updates took too big a
> toll on me and I gave up. Eventually it got so out of date I decided
> to try something else and found Ubuntu supported PowerPC and had 0.23
> in the repositories. The machine is up and running, boots cleanly,
> starts the backend and I've got an external USB hard drive for
> storage.
>
> 2) My only frontend for now will be my Gentoo desktop in my office. I
> masked everything higher than 0.23_pxxxxx. I can run both the frontend
> and mythtv-setup from my Gentoo machine and I appear to be connecting
> to the backend. (I had to mask 0.23.1 because apparently the
> communication protocols changed between versions and a 0.23.1 frontend
> won't talk to a 0.23 backend?)
>
> 3) I'd like to use my HDHR as the capture card.
>
> 4) I'd like to use SchedulesDirect as the video source.
>
> QUESTIONS:
>
> 1) Where can I run mythtv-setup from?
>
>   OK - so the first problem is that (as installed by Ubuntu on my
> PowerPC) mythtv-setup won't connect to the database if run from the
> backend. However it does connect to the database if run from the
> frontend. Can I run mythtv-setup from the frontend to set things up or
> does it have to be run from the backend machine?

Yes the backend needs to run mythtv-setup.

>   When run from the backend and either the DHCP IP address
> (192.168.1.245) or 127.0.0.1 is in the Hostname box I get a message
> 'cannot login'.

Test mysql from the command line using the credentials that you're
trying in mythtv-setup. Confirm that mysql is NOT listening on
127.0.0.1 and is instead listening on either all interfaces (0.0.0.0)
or the LAN ip address for that machine. I had a race condition that I
chose to solve by binding to 0.0.0.0 in the /etc/mysql/my.cnf - that
looks like this:

bind-address            = 0.0.0.0

Even with the IP binding correctly you may need to explicitly 'grant
all on mythconverg.* to 'mythtv'@{IP_ADDRESS} identified by
'{PASSWORD}' before it lets each machine connect to the mysql
database. I have not had good luck with 'mythtv'@'%' style grant
statements lately. YMMV.

>   When run from the frontend it sort of seems to work - it will set
> up cards and the Schedules sources and allow me to make connections,
> but it complains that /video/ doesn't exist when it clearly does, and
> when finished and mythfilldatabase is run it acts like it's
> downloading schedules but I see nothing in mythfrontend.

I'm no mythtv-setup and database expert, but if this were me, I'd be
sure to drop the mythconverg database and re-run the mythtv-setup from
the master-backend only so you don't have a corrupted partial setup
from running mythtv-setup previously.

You could start here - http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Silicondust_HDHomeRun

>   Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Cheers,