[mythtv-users] upgrade woes

ojw at weilerfamily.com ojw at weilerfamily.com
Fri Sep 3 04:16:47 UTC 2010

So there I was, sitting with an old BE/FE box on a 0.21 release
version with a stock Fedora Core 8, thinking that an upgrade to 0.23
trunk should be a snap.  After some downloading and fiddling, I
started everything up with wonderful "oooooo"'s and "aaaahhhhh"'s from
the family to the new themes.  Unfortunately, playback was a bear: no
remote or keyboard function.  Mythweb was missing some dependencies
too. Ugh.  I restored everything prior to upgrade and tried to think
of a different plan.

I decided that the road to upgrade was going to have to be done with a
fresh install.  I have another computer in the house with exactly the
same motherboard and CPU (graphics card is on mobo).  Here's my plan,
can you all let me know if this has any chance of working and if not,
what I might be missing?

1. Put a new hard drive into the extra computer, load FC 13, with
development packages, get mythtv, compile and install. (this is
essentially how I did the last install of mythtv v0.21 and FC8)
2. NFS mount recording storage drives onto newly loaded FC 13 in the
same places that they exist on the original mythtv box.
3. Copy mythconverg database, allow mythtvbackend to upgrade it
4. Make sure navigation, playback and mythtv work
5. Take hard drive out of extra computer, put into original mythtv computer

For what it's worth, all my tuners are HDHomerun's (3 HDHR's) so
drivers for tuners aren't really a problem.  How does that look like
for an upgrade path?  I know it's a hassle but provides minimal
downtime but gets me up to date.