[mythtv-users] Who's going to be the first?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Sep 2 14:05:12 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 09:29:12PM -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 9:08 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> >  On 9/1/2010 21:04, Craig Treleaven wrote:
> >>
> >> I know it's shocking, Brian, but Apple was not thinking of you when they
> >> created this.  In Job's presentation, he lists a series of factors that they
> >> feel are important to potential customers.  (You weren't mentioned, sorry.)
> >>  They are:
> >>
> >> -Everything in HD
> >
> > It's going to be fairly low bitrate, and no better than 720p.
>
> So, just like Fox and ABC on Comcast... ;)
>
> >> -Lower prices for content
> >
> > The prices I saw looked awfully expensive to me.
>
> $0.99 per tv episode a la carte doesn't sound that expensive to me.
> Consider the following:

    That's a rental. So that's a buck every time you watch something. If
you manage to ever re-watch something (for whatever reason), that's another
buck. Everything everyone in the household watches is another buck per show.
Some of that stuff might be half hour stuff so you double your cost-per-time
right there.

    If the misses tends to fall asleep during stuff, then you're talking
about a hit every time she dozes off. If you get interrupted for whatever
other reason half way through, you may end up having to pay again just to
finish whatever it was you were watching.

    Cutting the price in half certainly makes it more competitive. Although
that just puts them at the same pricepoint as DVD for a lot of stuff.

[deletia]