[mythtv-users] Who's going to be the first?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Sep 2 01:29:12 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 9:08 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
>  On 9/1/2010 21:04, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>>
>> I know it's shocking, Brian, but Apple was not thinking of you when they
>> created this.  In Job's presentation, he lists a series of factors that they
>> feel are important to potential customers.  (You weren't mentioned, sorry.)
>>  They are:
>>
>> -Everything in HD
>
> It's going to be fairly low bitrate, and no better than 720p.

So, just like Fox and ABC on Comcast... ;)

>> -Lower prices for content
>
> The prices I saw looked awfully expensive to me.

$0.99 per tv episode a la carte doesn't sound that expensive to me.
Consider the following:

- How many hours of TV you actually *want* to watch do you watch each month?
- How much is your monthly bill for your television feed?
- How much for a DVR (monthly and up front) to make it available
on-demand w/o commercials?

On-demand, $0.99/show, $99 initial cost, no monthly fee, etc., and I
think an AppleTV might actually look pretty attractive to some
percentage of the population.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com