[mythtv-users] Who's going to be the first?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Sep 3 00:30:34 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 10:05 AM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 09:29:12PM -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:

>> > It's going to be fairly low bitrate, and no better than 720p.
>>
>> So, just like Fox and ABC on Comcast... ;)

>> > The prices I saw looked awfully expensive to me.
>>
>> $0.99 per tv episode a la carte doesn't sound that expensive to me.
>> Consider the following:
>
>    That's a rental.

I tend to watch stuff once and then delete it anyway. I'm sure others
operate that way too. Someone without a DVR certainly doesn't keep a
show around.

> So that's a buck every time you watch something. If
> you manage to ever re-watch something (for whatever reason), that's another
> buck. Everything everyone in the household watches is another buck per show.
> Some of that stuff might be half hour stuff so you double your cost-per-time
> right there.
>
>    If the misses tends to fall asleep during stuff, then you're talking
> about a hit every time she dozes off. If you get interrupted for whatever
> other reason half way through, you may end up having to pay again just to
> finish whatever it was you were watching.

Haven't looked at how long you get to rent it for, but a lot of the
online "rentals" I've seen before, you had a few days to watch it.
Okay, just looked at Apple's web site. It says:

"Once you rent an episode, you have 30 days to press Play. Then it’s
yours for the next 48 hours. Watch it once, or replay it as many times
as you want for some instant rerun gratification."

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com