[mythtv-users] mythfrontend and Gnome or mythfrontend sans window manager with firefox?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 16:27:17 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> On 10/12/2010 12:06, Steven Adeff wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Michael T. Dean
>> <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>  wrote:

>>> And, therefore, all swans are white.
>>>
>>> But, hey, I'm sure you're using that 300kB of RAM far more effectively
>>> than
>>> it would have been used for running a window manager.
>>
>> The big advantage is that when mythfrontend would die, or be killed,
>> it was easy to have it "restart" automatically. Every method I've seen
>> that involved a window manager made this situation more difficult to
>> near-impossible.
>
> It's easy.  Fork your window manager in the background, and then do whatever
> you would have normally done.  Run mythfrontend as the controlling process,
> so the X server will terminate when mythfrontend does, and take the window
> manager with it, using your inittab to manage auto-restart.  Code a restart
> loop into your .xinitrc, so it becomes the controlling process and restarts
> mythfrontend on its own.  Either way, it's a single line you need to add.
>
> and let mythfrontend function as the controlling process, or create a loop
> and leave the xinitrc script is the controlling process.

the last time I tried this a few years back it didn't work,
mythfrontend would die but I couldn't get the window manager to. So
now I run sans-window manager, and even when I had mplayer as a player
option it wasn't an issue, but all my frontends were remote only. Now
I don't run mplayer, etc, just mythfrontend, so it's not an issue.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!