[mythtv-users] mythfrontend and Gnome or mythfrontend sans window manager with firefox?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Oct 12 16:17:19 UTC 2010

On 10/12/2010 12:06, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Michael T. Dean
> <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>  wrote:
>>> IMHO, this is a common misconception.  I know I will get an argument
>>> about this but I have run Myth for many (i.e. since about 0.18 or 0.19)
>>> years without ever using a window manager and have never had a problem.
>>> Even when I used to use mplayer as an external video player (that's how
>>> long I have been using Myth).
>> And, therefore, all swans are white.
>>
>> But, hey, I'm sure you're using that 300kB of RAM far more effectively than
>> it would have been used for running a window manager.
> The big advantage is that when mythfrontend would die, or be killed,
> it was easy to have it "restart" automatically. Every method I've seen
> that involved a window manager made this situation more difficult to
> near-impossible.

It's easy.  Fork your window manager in the background, and then do
whatever you would have normally done.  Run mythfrontend as the
controlling process, so the X server will terminate when mythfrontend
does, and take the window manager with it, using your inittab to manage
auto-restart.  Code a restart loop into your .xinitrc, so it becomes the
controlling process and restarts mythfrontend on its own.  Either way,
it's a single line you need to add.

and let mythfrontend function as the controlling process, or create a
loop and leave the xinitrc script is the controlling process.