[mythtv-users] ClearQAM Gone Martinez CA 94553

Greg greg12866 at nycap.rr.com
Sun May 16 14:27:45 UTC 2010

On 05/16/2010 04:59 AM, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Matt W wrote:
>
>> I knew this day was coming, and it's a bit of a drag.  But I am glad
>> it will light a fire under me to finally get my OTA setup going.  I'll
>> miss my pet 'premium basic cable' shows like Forensic Files and things
>> on Comedy Central.
>
> Sort of following on from the earlier "I've ditched Comcast" thread
> where it was pointed out that if every Myth user dumped them then
> they'd not notice ...
>
> I suspect that it might have a slightly more noticeable effect if
> people dumping Comcast (or any other similar outfit) were to write to
> the marketing people of the channels they used to watch, and perhaps
> even the people buying their commercial time. Stress that it's the
> obsoleting of perfectly good (and in many cases new and expensive)
> equipment with built in cable tuners in favour of ugly and
> inconvenient (expensively) rented tuners that you object to - and to
> avoid getting dismissed as a geek, play the WAF, as in "and my Wife
> didn't like all the extra remotes".
>
> Comcast may not care if another viewer doesn't renew. But the
> advertising sales people of the various channels will care - because
> they can only charge for adverts on channels that people are watching,
> and people will only pay to place adverts that they think will be
> watched.
>
> Given the really low feedback rate they will be used to, I would think
> that just a few dozen letters along the lines of "Comcast have screwed
> me, and I've ditched them - so I no longer get channel <something> and
> no longer see any of your commercials, and I know a lot of others
> who've done the same" may get someone's attention. It's a long shot,
> but if channel execs start asking Comcast execs why they are losing
> customers over this*, then it might just raise itself above the noise
> floor.
>
> * Think casual conversation over lunch or down the golf course. "Hey
> Bob, you know we've been getting letters from ex customers of yours
> complaining that you've screwed them over and they've dumped you -
> they're p***ed at not getting our channels, but aren't prepared to
> take your s**t. What's going on ?"
>

> Just a thought.

Your suggestions do work..Here in Time Warner land they were going to
throttle the band width on Road Runner.. Road Runner was advertised as a
24/7 online service with unlimited bandwidth,with the understanding in
peak time of the day it would slow down.. I don't download a whole
lot,but when I heard this I was ticked off... They though the majority
of people wouldn't notice..They were wrong..I wrote them and said in no
uncertain terms I was going to switch my service... If I was going to
get DSL speeds, I may as well have DSL service and Dish was looking good
for TV...Thousands more like me did the same..They changed their mind..