[mythtv-users] ClearQAM Gone Martinez CA 94553

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sun May 16 08:59:12 UTC 2010

Matt W wrote:

>I knew this day was coming, and it's a bit of a drag.  But I am glad
>it will light a fire under me to finally get my OTA setup going.  I'll
>miss my pet 'premium basic cable' shows like Forensic Files and things
>on Comedy Central.

Sort of following on from the earlier "I've ditched Comcast" thread
where it was pointed out that if every Myth user dumped them then
they'd not notice ...

I suspect that it might have a slightly more noticeable effect if
people dumping Comcast (or any other similar outfit) were to write to
the marketing people of the channels they used to watch, and perhaps
even the people buying their commercial time. Stress that it's the
obsoleting of perfectly good (and in many cases new and expensive)
equipment with built in cable tuners in favour of ugly and
inconvenient (expensively) rented tuners that you object to - and to
avoid getting dismissed as a geek, play the WAF, as in "and my Wife
didn't like all the extra remotes".

Comcast may not care if another viewer doesn't renew. But the
advertising sales people of the various channels will care - because
they can only charge for adverts on channels that people are
watching, and people will only pay to place adverts that they think
will be watched.

Given the really low feedback rate they will be used to, I would
think that just a few dozen letters along the lines of "Comcast have
screwed me, and I've ditched them - so I no longer get channel
<something> and no longer see any of your commercials, and I know a
lot of others who've done the same" may get someone's attention. It's
a long shot, but if channel execs start asking Comcast execs why they
are losing customers over this*, then it might just raise itself
above the noise floor.

* Think casual conversation over lunch or down the golf course. "Hey
Bob, you know we've been getting letters from ex customers of yours
complaining that you've screwed them over and they've dumped you -
they're p***ed at not getting our channels, but aren't prepared to
take your s**t. What's going on ?"

Just a thought.

--
Simon Hobson