[mythtv-users] Upgrade advice - JYA to mythbuntu auto-builds

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Tue Mar 30 23:20:04 UTC 2010

On 29 Mar 2010, at 03:11, Chris Adams wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Currently I'm on mythbuntu 9.10 with JYA's 0.22-fixes repo and his
> nvidia 185 drivers.
> I'm planning an upgrade to mythbuntu weekly auto-builds to get 0.23rc1.
>
> Just wondering if there's any special steps recommended, for instance
> removing JYA's myth or nvidia packages before activating the
> auto-builds.

I've just completed this update, well I was using nvidia 195 drivers but jya 0.22-fixes to Mythbuntu weekly 0.23-fixes (rc-1)is the main thing.

I had a few gotchas, it seems jya's packages show up as 2:0.22 which apt thinks is newer than 0.23 so that was a pain. I upgraded a couple of backends and three frontends, same problem on each, apt didn't want to upgrade anything even after commenting out the jya repo and trying again.

What I did was to add the mythbuntu 0.23 weekly builds repository, disable the jya repository, apt-get update, then manually apt-get remove all the mythtv packages, doesn't really matter everything is in the database after all.
I then installed mythtv, or mythtv-frontend or mythtv-backend and mythtv-themes as appropriate.
I had to manually flush the /usr/share/mythtv/themes directory as I had some manually installed themes that wouldn't go away and caused me some crashes, mythfrontend.real -v is very useful. I also found a /etc/default/mythtv-backend file that was breaking the user environment for the master backend (couldn't find mysql.txt), removed it and the backend-started happily rather than looping crazily.

I found that lirc had also been removed as a dependency so had to re-install that and replace the config files from a backup.

It's all working now, some small issues for another thread but looks pretty good, first impression is the backend is using a lot less cpu cycles and frontend seems a lot snappier. Couple of hours to do two backends and three frontends including finding the gotchas and and some head scratching over themes that crashed mythtv-setup.

> Also wondering if people think I should keep JYA for nvidia drivers,
> or use mythbuntu for nvidia too.

I'm keeping the jya drivers but it looks like mythbuntu packages them up as two part now so maybe there's no major difference now? JYA is always really quick at packaging new drivers versions  but those 2:0.22 version numbers will presumably cause apt to "upgrade" everything back to 0.22 if I re-enable the repo?

> And a third thing: is nvidia 195 ready for prime-time yet? Just

Works well here for me, based on a sample of two it's perfect ;-)