[mythtv-users] Cannot Import DVD

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Mar 22 21:07:13 UTC 2010

On Monday 22 March 2010 03:00:43 pm Andrew wrote:
> Thanks for the tips!  I will check into Handbreak and see how it works.  I
> am a little surprised by the lack of DTS/AC3.  I don't have technical
> knowledge on this, but would assume processing/preserving the audio 1:1
> would be pretty simple.  I will dig in their forums and see what I can
>  find.
>
> I really have no interest in starting a copy protection debate and just
>  like millions of other people; I want to watch stuff that I own, on my TV,
>  in my way of watching (which currently is mythtv pick and select an ISO or
>  video file).  I hate fumbling through CD's and DVD's when they can all be
>  on a media server.

The MPAA would be happy to explain to you that you do not "own" anything. They
have granted you a license to watch what you paid for, but only in the way
they see fit. They want you to pay, and continue paying, no matter how
inconvenient it might be.

Personally I see nothing wrong with making archival backup copies of media you
have paid for, but the content owners seem to disagree with me.

I actually have some non-CSS DVDs, and I have made copies of them for
protection against childish teeth or similar destructive forces.

The entire situation in the US is just plain crazy, at least IMHO.