[mythtv-users] Cannot Import DVD

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Mar 22 21:02:56 UTC 2010

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 11:29:47PM -0500, Andrew wrote:

> >    It's not nearly as grim as that. Although there are particular studios
> > and batches of movies that are particularly problematic. And it's not
> > always
> > the copy protection that's the problem. Sometime's the disk faults are
> > genuine
> > errors that are the result of cutrate production.
> >
> >    The AnyDVD forums are a great source for information on why exactly
> > you're
> > having trouble with a particular disk.
> >
> >    Disney in particular seems to be particularly bad.
> >

> It actually just a TV series disc.  I can just use AnyDVD to rip to ISO and

    I've never had a TV disk I couldn't rip with mplayer (and I have quite a
lot of them). You might want to make sure the disk isn't bad.

> then mount that in mythtv.  I was just hoping there was an easier way and
> could make use of the DVD import function and not have to involve windoze.
> I thought if libdvdcss could read it, then it would rip too. I understand
> the complexities of the schemes these days...  Thanks for everyone's input.

    DVD Copy Protection shenanigans generally don't apply to TV disks.

    Depending on the publisher, quality could be a real concern.

    I just ran into one of those just the other day. (cut rate TV disk)