[mythtv-users] Soo I just got the Comcast all digital notice. What is my best option?

Larry mythtv at american-hero.com
Mon Mar 22 12:59:02 UTC 2010

Sooo,

The note I have been dreading finally arrived today telling me that in 2
months Comcast will go all digital in my area and I will need to get my
2 free Digital tuners.  I have been using my PVR-350 for a long time now
so I'm not even sure what all my options are.

My guess is that the simplest is to just add in an IR Blaster to the
system and reconfigure my PVR to get its signal via a component/svideo
cable or whatever option that my tuner box comes with to send signal
out?  I'm assuming of course that I can both send and recieve signal on
that spaghetti cable on the PVR-350. That may in itself be wrong.

In reading the mythtv wiki I noticed an article about the DTA
converters.  Would that allow me to keep my existing card without any
changes?  It appears from what I can tell that all the channels will be
sent over this converter and I just need to scan and tune them?  Am I
reading that wrong?

I did a google search as well for "mythtv comcast digital" and from what
I could understand it appears that A) its a mess B) unless I want only a
subset of channels then using an IR blaster and the output of my tuner
is the way to go.

Given that I'm going to at least purchase an IR blaster it appears I
want to make sure that whatever I get works and is somewhat common given
that I'm going to need support.  I can already feel it :)

Links to good articles are welcome and any suggestions on what I should
do as well (well any suggestion except where to go.. I get that from my
wife)

I did try to search the mythtv archive but I didn't see anything
relevant.  I'm probably just using the wrong search terms.