[mythtv-users] Soo I just got the Comcast all digital notice. What is my best option?

Scott pickle136 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 22 13:18:20 UTC 2010

On 3/22/2010 8:59 AM, Larry wrote:
> Sooo,
>
> The note I have been dreading finally arrived today telling me that in 2
> months Comcast will go all digital in my area and I will need to get my
> 2 free Digital tuners.  I have been using my PVR-350 for a long time now
> so I'm not even sure what all my options are.
>
> My guess is that the simplest is to just add in an IR Blaster to the
> system and reconfigure my PVR to get its signal via a component/svideo
> cable or whatever option that my tuner box comes with to send signal
> out?  I'm assuming of course that I can both send and recieve signal on
> that spaghetti cable on the PVR-350. That may in itself be wrong.
>
> In reading the mythtv wiki I noticed an article about the DTA
> converters.  Would that allow me to keep my existing card without any
> changes?  It appears from what I can tell that all the channels will be
> sent over this converter and I just need to scan and tune them?  Am I
> reading that wrong?
>
> I did a google search as well for "mythtv comcast digital" and from what
> I could understand it appears that A) its a mess B) unless I want only a
> subset of channels then using an IR blaster and the output of my tuner
> is the way to go.
>
> Given that I'm going to at least purchase an IR blaster it appears I
> want to make sure that whatever I get works and is somewhat common given
> that I'm going to need support.  I can already feel it :)
>
> Links to good articles are welcome and any suggestions on what I should
> do as well (well any suggestion except where to go.. I get that from my
> wife)
>
> I did try to search the mythtv archive but I didn't see anything
> relevant.  I'm probably just using the wrong search terms.

Welcome to the club, they must be converting over a lot of areas
(although my area provider gave 3 converters, with one having the choice
of a DTA or 6200). The more basic DTA100 (or PACE) converts the digital
channels to analog, so the capture cards you have will still work you
would just leave them set to channel 3/4. But as you mention a method
for IR blasting is needed. This where im stuck at the the moment and
cant seem to get much outside help (lirc_serial hasnt worked out too
well). Theres a larger set (6200's) that can provide on demand content.
I had a very basic model to begin with and as far i could tell it would
have need external IR blasting. Fortunately that box was bad and it was
swtiched out with another model that had firewire. The firewire option
is great, not only can it change channels over this interface it can
capture too. So for now i have one functional tuner/recorder so im
getting by.
Im not sure yet how supposed digital tuners work, i have a hvr1950 that
has digital support, but I havnt gotten it to detect any digital content.
You option B i think is refering to the small amount of channels still
on analog (which is basically the stuff you might get over air)
I might be headed towards trying a iguana ir usb hardware. Another
premium option is commandir (currently out of stock though) blaster.info
has serial adpaters.