[mythtv-users] Finding an IR blaster, really that hard?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Jun 24 13:47:06 UTC 2010

On Thursday, June 24, 2010 07:24:13 am David Brieck Jr. wrote:
> I've already read these two pages in the Wiki, but I'm still as confused as
> before. Jarod always seems to recommend MCE remotes on the list, but in
> searching for one online it's nearly impossible to find an original MS
> remote, and I am not clear on which, if any of these other brands support
> blasting.
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Using_an_IR_Blaster_with_MythTV
> <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Using_an_IR_Blaster_with_MythTV>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MCE_Remote
>
> <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MCE_Remote>I already have Snapstream Firefly RF
> remotes for my front ends, but I need to add a blaster for the new HDPVR
> that's on it's way. From reading the list, it seems like the one that's
> built in isn't very stable. I like the guys at Iguana Works, but I don't
> want to recompile LIRC just to get their blaster to work. I'm looking for
> something that will work out of the box with Ubuntu and MythTV and not
> interfere with my Fireflys.

I hate to always flog my favorite solution, since it is probably harder to find than an original MCE unit.

But, if you can possibly find an old MyBlaster (maybe EBay?), it takes about 10 minutes from opening the box to working,
and it doesn't even require lirc, and won't interfere with anything.

You need a serial port or a USB-to-Serial adapter supported by Linux (yes, it works with those too, unlike LIRC-based
blasters).

It's still the best solution out there IMHO, but as I said it's hard to find since they are not made anymore.

Hopefully the HD-PVR blaster support will stabilize in time though.