[mythtv-users] Finding an IR blaster, really that hard?

mythtv at derdev.com mythtv at derdev.com
Thu Jun 24 13:55:17 UTC 2010

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 09:24:13 -0400, "David Brieck Jr." <dbrieck at gmail.com>
wrote:
> I've already read these two pages in the Wiki, but I'm still as confused
as
> before. Jarod always seems to recommend MCE remotes on the list, but in
> searching for one online it's nearly impossible to find an original MS
> remote, and I am not clear on which, if any of these other brands
support
> blasting.
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Using_an_IR_Blaster_with_MythTV
> <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Using_an_IR_Blaster_with_MythTV>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MCE_Remote
>
> <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MCE_Remote>I already have Snapstream Firefly
RF
> remotes for my front ends, but I need to add a blaster for the new HDPVR
> that's on it's way. From reading the list, it seems like the one that's
> built in isn't very stable. I like the guys at Iguana Works, but I don't
> want to recompile LIRC just to get their blaster to work. I'm looking
for
> something that will work out of the box with Ubuntu and MythTV and not
> interfere with my Fireflys.

> Twitter - http://twitter.com/dbrieck
> Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/david.brieck
> Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/brieck
> LinkedIn - http://www.linkedin.com/in/dbrieck

I went straight to the IguanaIR as my emitter/blaster.  I control two
different models of Comcast STB and plan to add ComcastHD STB and HDPVR
fairly soon.

The instructions to recompile LIRC to include the iguanaIR are really
accurate and simple on Ubuntu platforms because you can leave a fair bit in
the hands of 'apt' and source packages.

A couple of main things that are not so well documented.

Ubuntu needs USB Lib 1.0, which probably isn't on your distro by default.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lirc/+bug/153457/comments/23

You need to suppress 'apt' updates for LIRC from that point forward.
Otherwise 'apt' will try to overwrite your compiled LIRC with whatever's in
your fav repo (even though your LIRC is the same "version" as the repo LIRC
in terms of code base).  Decided to use 'wajig' hold back updates on LIRC
and it's libs.
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/debian-linux-help/53089-how-exclude-some-packages-during-apt-get-upgrade.html#post290819
'wajig hold liblircclient-dev liblircclient0 lirc lirc-modules-source'

I'm really happy with my IguanaIR (4 emitter USB model).