[mythtv-users] Timeshifted channels

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 08:14:45 UTC 2010

On 8 June 2010 08:57, Jay <alchamist at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I apologise if this has been asked already, but I haven't yet found an
> answer.
>
> Whenever I set a recording schedule to "Record at any time on any channel",
> even if I have the duplicate detection on, I often end up with the same
> program recorded twice when it is shown on a channel with a timeshifted
> version as well.
>
> e.g. A program that records on "More 4", will also record an hour later on
> "More 4 +1"
>
> The program data is set to only come from xmltv/tv_grab_uk_rt
>
> Is there any way to improve the duplicate detection or prevent this from
> happening? I don't want to set it to record on only one channel, as quite
> often programs are split across any of a broadcasters channels - e.g. C4,
> More4, E4 etc - and obviously the timeshifted channel is sometimes handy to
> avoid recording conflicts.

Please check the XMLTV ID for more4 +1 you are using. To use the
regular more4 data but with programme timings shifted forwards an
hour, you should be using an ID of 'tsod.plus-1.more4.channel4.com' in
the MythTV database and in your XMLTV config file for your video
source.

I added full support to tv_grab_uk_rt (based on an inital patch from
David Greaves) in January 2008 for the exact reasons you describe -
small differences in the listings provided by the Radio Times for
regular/timeshifted channels would break duplicate detection across
these 'similar' channels. With more and more timeshifted channels
becoming available on Sky Digital and Virgin Media, it was getting to
be a real problem. Configuration of the grabber hides the Radio Times
timeshifted channels and prefers the channels having timeshifted data
created in the grabber. There are currently 52 timeshifted channels
having their listings created in this way - and the Radio Times does
not supply +1/+2 data for all of them.

Cheers,
Nick

--