[mythtv-users] No EPG data on DVB-T

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 07:40:48 UTC 2010

On 1 June 2010 22:13, Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks!!! It works!!!

Please don't top-post - it is against list etiquette.

> I config just one adapter with passive scan, and I can see programs
> info (I reset video sources first). I have some questions.
>
> 1. If I dont use any XML grabber, don't I need to execute mythfilldatabase?

Common listings handling code for EIT and XMLTV/SD was refactored into
the backend's housekeeping code. If you only use EIT, you do not need
to run mythfilldatabase.

> 2. Which is the real difference between active and passive scan? Both
> take info on LiveTV?

Active EIT scanning occurs in the background when you are not
recording or watching LiveTV. It provides the most up-to-date
listings, but keeps your DVB card tied up for most of the time
mythbackend is running.

Passive EIT scanning occurs whilst a recording or Live TV session is
in progress. If you do not record often, you may find you have stale
TV listings due to the low update frequency. Any changes made in the
EIT data will not be picked up until you next record something, which
could results in missed/wrong recordings if the listings change.

> 3. Is prefereble to config both adapter (dual tuner) with passive scan?

On a dual tuner card, I would have one adapter using active EIT
collection, and the second collecting data via passive EIT collection.
As I think I mentioned in another thread, this can increase stability
with dual tuner cards (the Nova-T 500 springs to mind here).

> 4. What does "open on the demand" means? I must enable?

If enabled, MythTV only opens the DVB device when it is needed for
scanning or recording. This means that if you have other applications
that want/need to use the card, they can when MythTV is idle. When
disabled, MythTV keeps hold of the card even when it is not being
used, blocking other apps from using it.

Cheers,
Nick

--
Nick Morrott