[mythtv-users] MythNetvision troubleshooting

Tim Coote tim+mythtv.org at coote.org
Tue Jun 1 12:44:01 UTC 2010

firefox-3.5.9-2.fc12.x86_64
flash-plugin-10.0.45.2-1.x86_64

On 1 Jun 2010, at 13:00, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:

> From: "Anthony Giggins" <seven at seven.dorksville.net>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] MythNetvision troubleshooting

>>> Has anyone gotten this working on 64bit fedora 12 (and or mythdora)?
>>>
>>> I found the 32bit flash plugin doesn't get detected in the 64bit
>>> firefox
>>> and the 64bit flsh plugin crashes firefox (Even viewing
>>> http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/) and the mythfrontend
>>> when
>>> viewing flash content
>>>
>>> The following I think was recorded at the same time in /var/log/
>>> messages
>>> when mythfrontend crashed.
>>>
>>> May 28 22:45:59 mythtv kernel: mythfrontend[2135]: segfault at 0 ip
>>> 0000003bdfc6ca2c sp 00007f6933ffdeb0 error 4 in
>>> libQtCore.so.4.6.2.#prelink#.YGF3mk (deleted)[3bdfc00000+25a000]
>>>

>> You need to use the Adobe Flash 10.0 64-bit version.  The 10.1 beta
>> doesn't work with Qt's webkit.
>>
>> http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/64bit.html
>> http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10_64bit.html
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> (I don't know whether the 10.1 beta 32-bit works with a 32-bit Qt,
>> but I
>> know for sure that 10.1 beta 64-bit doesn't work with 64-bit Qt.)
>

> Yep thats the 64bit flash that I'm using, crashes firefox when
> browsing
> http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/
>
> I even upgraded firefox to 3.6.3 still crashes
>
> does anyone have this working in 64bit fedora 12?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Anthony

I've got some of this set of items working:
firefox-3.5.9-2.fc12.x86_64
flash-plugin-10.0.45.2-1.x86_64
mythtv-0.23-1.fc12.x86_64

I built the system using cobbler on an Acer Revo 3610, so it's not a
totally standard distro, but I am assiduous in sticking to as few
repos as possible as it can be hard working with the dependencies
otherwise. That said, I'd rather use yum than diy build, just to keep
the process consistent as I install/uninstall, so that flash plugin
came from this repo:

[tim at localhost ~]$ cat /etc/yum.repos.d/flash.repo
[flash]
name=flash
baseurl=http://www.dfm.uninsubria.it/compiz/fusion-testing/flashplayer.x86_64/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-leigh123linux

I found that file somewhere...

fwiw, I've had to rip out pulseaudio from f12 to get hdmi sound
working, which means that, until I can get it back in again, I cannot
run both mythtv and firefox for eg BBC iPlayer content. It's also a
bit annoying that the flash plugin is too cpu hungry to deliver
sensibly sized iPlayer pictures.

I've not thrashed the browser, so it could still crash on some sites -
I think that you probably need to be more precise about when it
crashes with the plugin.

Tim