[mythtv-users] Trunk: Recordings all vanished?

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 14:41:30 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 9:24 AM, Phil Linttell <phil.linttell at rogers.com>wrote:

>  I'm currently running Trunk (25279) and all my recordings have all
> disappeared from "Watch Recordings", apart from one program that has
> just finished recording.  I've verified that my recordings drive is
> mounted, and the recordings themselves can be played from mplayer.  I've
> run optimize_mythdb.pl, and restarted the back-end.... still no
> recordings.
>
> The table seems to have been wiped.  The "recorded" table in mysql has
> only the one, new, row in it.
>
> Looking at "Previously Recorded" programs appears to be intact.  The
> other tables appear to be fine too, as far as I can tell.   Videos,
> recording rules.... all okay.
>
> What's the best approach to recovering/re-populating the table?  The
> last database backup was done about a week ago, as part of the schema
> upgrade from 0.23-fixes to trunk...   do I need to restore the
> database?  Or can I just use myth.find_orphans.pl to put everything back?
>
> As for why the table disappeared...  I had a power failure last
> night.... could that account for one table in a mysql database vanishing?

Yes.  I recently had a database crash of some kind while I was away that
took out 14 tables in my mythconverg.  In MySQL, they are files so they can
be damaged individually.  Restoring that table from backup is your best
option.  I believe the official recommendation would be to restore the
entire DB to it's pre-trunk upgrade state and let trunk re-do the schema
upgrades, etc.

This would also be a good time to look into some simple scripts to
backup/dump the database regularly to another drive.

Kevin