[mythtv-users] Aspect ratio and "Video frame buffering failed too many times"

Chris Dennis cgdennis at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 25 09:23:05 UTC 2010

Chris Dennis wrote:
> Hello MythTV people
>
> Since upgrading to 0.22, I've had problems viewing certain recordings.
>
> When watching a recording of, for example, "Family Guy" or old episodes
> of "A Touch of Frost", which are in 4:3 format, there is a switch from
> 16:9 to 4:3 at the start of the program and back again at every advert
> break.  When fast-forwarding or jumping through such a switch, the
> display freezes, and eventually returns to the menu with the message
> "Video frame buffering failed too many times".
>
> The frontend in question uses MythCenter (Widescreen) theme on a
> 1360x768 LCD TV via VGA.  It's running MythBuntu 9.10, with 0.22-fixes,
> on an EPIA-M6000G motherboard.  Exactly the same problem occurs when the
> same frontend is running MiniMyth 0.22-73b3 via PXEBOOT.
>
> Other frontends (running on 'proper' computers rather than the EPIA
> board) have no such problems.
>
> The backend is running MythBuntu 9.10 with 0.22-fixes.
>
> I can supply more details and logs as required.

Update: I've discovered that if I'm watching the 4:3 programme in 'Full'
zoom mode, which almost fills the screen but loses the top and bottom of
the picture, I can fast-forward through aspect-ratio switches, and even
do advert skipping, without it crashing.

Which is nice, but not ideal.

Chris Dennis                                  cgdennis at btinternet.com
Fordingbridge, Hampshire, UK