[mythtv-users] Is the hpHDTV 5500 right for me?

Henry Hartley henry at dotrose.com
Sat Jan 23 19:19:01 UTC 2010

Frank Merrill wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 12:25 PM, Henry Hartley <henry at dotrose.com> wrote:
>> As for video going into the machine, I need to know that I'm getting the
>> right device for the signal I have. The pcHDTV HD-3000 is mentioned a few
>> times in the MythTV docs but it looks like the pcHDTV HD-5500 is the
>> "current" model and also costs about $70 less. So, is this (or either,
>> really) card is going to do what I want? If my signal is ATSC, as I think,
>> then this should be able to be attached to a splitter on my antenna without
>> needing the converter box in the circuit, meaning I can leave my current set
>> up as it is for now. Is that right? Or is there a better choice for
>> receiving video into my machine?
>>

> To simplify this down to what your signal is first, yes, it would be
> ATSC from your local Over-The-Air (OTA) stations.
> What you are currently doing with it to drive what you have is also fine.
> So, based upon what your initial intentions are (to run Myth on a PC
> in the basement via a capture card within that PC), yes, split the
> signal coming from the Antenna, and feed the capture card with that.
>
> There may be a lot more to think about, such as a possible need to
> amplify the antenna signal, the future when you may want to drive a TV
> from the Myth PC, etc, but your initial observations are correct.
> I have no idea personally about the pcHDTV cards, but if they are
> indicated as working with MythTV, then you are on the right track.

Thanks. The computer is directly under the TV so it will only be adding
about six feet to the antenna cable run. There's probably that much
coiled out in the garage and I can shorten it up there if need be.

Based on discussion on the pchdtv.com forums, I think I'll go ahead with
their 5500 card. Apparently it is basically the same as the 3000
mentioned in the MythTV docs but with "the latest tuner and demod chip
for better reception especially in city areas." It is also smaller and
priced at $99 instead of $169.

--
Henry